Software for Statistics of 3-D Human Body Forms
What this Software Can Do
Human Body Statistica is the software that does statistical
calculations related to 3-D body shapes. For multiple, homologously
modeled 3-D shape data, the following can be done:
1) Make a distribution map of subjects
2) Calculate mean shape (the virtual shape at the center of a distribution map)
3) Calculate the virtual shape at any location of a distribution map
Homologous modeling is to reconstruct data points in such a way that the data for each subject will consist of the same number of data points of the same topology, and each data point has the same anatomical position between subjects.
These movies were created by the following method. The subjects were 45 adult males, and homologous models of the right foot were used.
- Foot shapes were measured using the foot scanner, INFOOT
- Shape models were created using the modeling software, Di+
- Analyzed the shape models using Human Body Statistica and the virtual shapes on the first axis and the second axis were calculated
Making of a Distribution Map
The distance matrix between shapes is analyzed using multi-dimensional scaling (MDS). Then, a distribution map is drawn based on the results of MDS.A distribution map is useful when categorizing a product into sizes or types and also when deciding a target population.
Eyeglass frames "co-co-chi" [comfort] were designed using this feature.
Calculation of the mean shape
The mean shape is the virtual shape at the center of the distribution map. This is useful when representing a group with only one shape. Bunka Fashion College's new dressmaking dummywas designed using this feature.
Calculation of shapes at any location of a distribution
A virtual shape at the edge of a distribution is useful for finding the individual differences among a group. It is quite obvious to see how shapes change along the axis, which was obtained by multi-dimensional scaling, by making a movie by lining up the virtual shapes on the axis. It is also possible to calculate the virtual shapes on probability ellipsoids in which 95% of the samples will fall.
The movie at the top of this page shows the changes in 3-D shape, along the first axis (sample1.avi) and the second axis (sample2.avi), of the young adult males' foot shapes that have the largest and second largest individual differences. This feature is used for the product design of gas masks, eyeglass frames, and knee supporters.
Basic Configuration of the Software / Distribution
- Operating Environment: Microsoft Windows 2000/XP
- Input: 3-D shape models of N subjects (anatomical homologous model, N is desirable to be larger than 30)
- Output: Morphological distances matrix of N subjects; results of the multi-dimensional scaling analysis; the mean shape model; and given virtual shape models in the multi-dimensional scaling spaces.
This software has been distributed by the Digital Human Technology, Inc. since May, 2004. The Digital Human Technology, Inc. is a venture of the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST)
- Mochimaru, M. and M. Kouchi: Statistics for 3D human body forms. SAE Digital Human Modeling for Design and Engineering International Conference and Exposition, 2000.
- Mochimaru, M. and M. Kouchi: Statistics for 3D human body forms. XIVth Triennial Congress of International Ergonomics Association and Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 44th Annual Meeting, 2000.