In 1997-1998, anthropometric data was collected from about 300 Japanese of both sexes for a project to develop an anthropomorphic test dummy (1994-1999). The body dimension data is now available free of charge.
Usually, only statistics of anthropometric data, such as means and standard deviations, are published. In the present database, individual data are now available. The data has been edited with erratic data eliminated. Though the number of measurement items and the ages of subjects are limited, the individual data can be useful in various ways.
To protect the privacy of subjects, information that may identify the individual is not disclosed. The subjects were given an explanation of the purpose of the research, and when it was understood, agreed to open the data under the condition that they were not identified.
The database has been available in Japan since February 2000, and more than 5,600 copies have been distributed.
- For more information on the measurement items, click here.
|Age Group||Gender||N||Mean Age|
|60 years and over||Male||51||68.6|
The Directory Listing of Download Data:
ROOT -- Readme_e.txt -- Manual_e.html Manual (use web browser) -- DataContents/ This folder contains files for anthropometric data -- Excel/ bodydims-iso.xls Anthropometric data listed according to ISO DIS-15535 bodydims.xls Anthropometric data itemlist-iso.xls Measurement items listed according to ISO DIS-15535 itemlist.xls List of measurement items stat-ef.xls Statistics for senior Japanese females stat-em.xls Statistics for senior Japanese males stat-yf.xls Statistics for young adult Japanese females stat-ym.xls Statistics for young adult Japanese males -- Text/ bodydims-iso.txt Anthropometric data listed according to ISO DIS-15535 bodydims.txt Anthropometric data itemlist-iso.txt Measurement items listed according to ISO DIS-15535 itemlist.txt List of measurement items stat-ef.txt Statistics for senior Japanese females stat-em.txt Statistics for senior Japanese males stat-yf.txt Statistics for young adult Japanese females stat-ym.txt Statistics for young adult Japanese males -- DigitalDocument/ This folder contains files related to the manual for this database. You can read these files by opening Readme.html with a web browser. -- bodydims_e.html List of items -- Figdims1.JPG Figure showing definitions of measurement items -- Figdims2.JPG Figure showing definitions of measurement items -- Figdims3.JPG Figure showing definitions of measurement items -- Figdims4.JPG Figure showing definitions of measurement items -- Figdims5.JPG Figure showing definitions of measurement items -- shiki1.jpg Log transformation function for skinfold thickness -- shiki2.jpg Equation to calculate the number of subjects necessary -- FIGURE/ This folder contains figures of explanation for each measurement item -- FILEBOX/ This folder contains explanations for each measurement item
To obtain a copy of the Japanese Body Dimension Database
1)For Commercial use
If you belong to a private company or you want to use this database for a commercial purpose, please purchase it from the software distribution company. The price is 20,000JPY (about US $240).
The license is distributed from I-Ware Laboratory Co., Ltd.
Licensed by National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology.
- Price of database : 20,000 Japanese Yen (JP Yen only)
- Payment : Remittance only. Credit cards are not accepted.
Wire transfer funds to the bank account of I-Ware Laboratory Co., Ltd.
Bank transfer charges must be paid by the client.
- Bank account information : Bank: Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi
Branch: UMEDA Branch
Account Number: 1556320
Account Name: I-Ware Laboratory Co., Ltd.
Bank Address: 1-8-17, Umeda, Kita-ku, Osaka 530-0001 Japan
Bank phone: +81-6-6345-2251
To obtain a license
- Download and read this agreement form for commercial use.
- If you agree with the contents of the form, sign the agreement, and fill in the necessary information.
- Send the signed agreement to I-Ware Laboratory Co., Ltd. by post. To expedite the process, fax the agreement to I-Ware Laboratory Co., Ltd. However, the original signed agreement must be sent to I-Ware Laboratory Co., Ltd. by post.
***Please send your business card with the agreement.I-Ware Laboratory Co., Ltd.
MINOH Fureres Bldg. 5F
1-10-9, Senba-Higashi, MINOH-City, OSAKA
- Remit 20,000 Japanese Yen to the bank account described above.
I-Ware Laboratory will be notified your remittance normally in 2 to 3 days.
- When I-Ware Laboratory receives both your agreement and the information on your remittance from the bank, I-Ware Lab. will ask Digital Human Lab. to send you the ID and the password to download the database.
- Digital Human Research Center will send you the ID and the password (via e-mail).
- Download the database using the ID and the password.
2)For personal, non-profit, non-commercial, or educational use
- Download this agreement form.
- Read the agreement form.
- If you agree to the contents of the form, sign the agreement, and fill in the necessary information.
- Send the signed agreement to the following address by post.
***If available, please send your business card with the agreement.
Anthropometry Database of Japanese 1997-1998
Digital Human Research Center
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology
2-3-26 Aomi, Koto-ku, Tokyo 135-0064 JAPAN
- When we receive the signed agreement, we will send, via e-mail, the ID and the password to download the database.
- Download the database using the ID and the password.
The data was collected by
- Makiko Kouchi, Ph.D.
- Masaaki Mochimaru, Ph.D.
- Rika Ichimura
- Hiromu Iwasawa
- Seiji Mitani